- This event has passed.
Introducing Mr Morton and Mr Oliver
November 23 @ 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Celebrating Two Luminaries of Traditional Jazz
Thursday 23rd November 2023 1.00pm
Majestic Theatre, 3 Factory St, Pomona
Members $25 – Guests $30 + booking fee
‘Jelly Roll’ Ferdinand Joseph Morton played guitar, trombone then piano and as a vocalist he began playing in New Orleans ‘sporting houses’ around the turn of the century.
He is regarded as the first true jazz composer producing tunes such as The Chant, Snag It, Winin Boy Blues, Milenberg Joys and many others that became inspirational standards.
Joseph ‘King’ Oliver was a pioneering jazz trumpet and cornet player. As a bandleader he played an instrumental role in the popularization of jazz outside of New Orleans. As a composer his hit tunes included, Canal St Blues, Dr Jazz and Snake Rag. His ‘Creole Jazz Band’ was joined in 1922 by 21-year-old Louis Armstrong as second cornetist.
This concert provides a nostalgic glimpse of the type of band and the music played at the Majestic Theatre Pomona, when it opened its doors in 1921.
Two of Australia’s most accomplished musicians, Ian Smith (trumpet/washboard/vocals) from Melbourne and John Braben (trumpet) from Brisbane, will take you on an escapade that pays homage to the brilliance of Mr Morton and Mr. Oliver. Joined by Chris Schnack (trombone), Paul Williams (clarinet/saxophone), Bernice Haydock (pno), Glenn Flenady (bjo/guitar), Richard Stevens (sousaphone) and Rod Andrew (drums), guarantees an afternoon of rollicking ‘Hot Jazz’ from the Golden Era
Venue: Majestic Theatre, Pomona
Date: Thursday 26th October at 1.00pm – 3.30pmTicket prices: $25* for Members & $30* for Guests – *plus booking fee
Need help? CONTACT US
About making a booking
- We use TryBooking – it is easy to use and offers an option to choose your table when making your booking.
- You can see the table numbers by clicking on “View venue plan” on the right-hand side of the ticketing panel.
- There is a choice of seating, either on the ground floor with table and chairs or upstairs on the mezzanine chairs.
- There is no allocated seating for the Mezzanine and there will be up to 12 unallocated chairs available in the downstairs area.
- There are 7 seats per table.
- The number of seats available for each table is automatically adjusted as bookings are made.
- If you would like to be seated with certain people, you will need to let them know the table number you have booked.
To make your booking you will need:
- Your credit card – you can only use 1 credit card or PayPal account for your booking.
- Names of all people you are paying for
- Your email & mobile number
- Names of any people you wish to be seated with
If you need assistance
please email us at:
text/phone at: 0478 256 245